Monday, April 6, 2009

A Rascal's Guide To Winning People Over

Would you like to know how I make friends?

One word, (maybe not a real word, but close enough. And what is a
fake word anyway? It's a word if I say it is!) three syllables: Goofiness.

"But, Emily, Goofiness does not belong in a business setting."

Au Contraire, Professional Business Person. Of course, I understand that being the fun person has certain more appropriate moments. But let's not all get sucked into the void of sameness. I want people to know I can make 'em laugh. I also want them to know that I am incredibly smart, which people can recognize immediately. I have noticed there is something in the eyes that reveals a certain savvy.

My goofiness comes out in my writing and in pretty much every single correspondence I have with anyone. My Twitter Pic is a kitten wearing a funny hat.

In these dark and gloomy times, we all need to be around a bright spot. I try to fashion my writing and myself to be that bright spot. I have gotten around extremely important people from extremely important companies and just been goofy. Most love it. Others just look at me like I've got three heads. That's OK. I take it in stride. I don't want to be around people who hate fun anyway.

Don't impose limitations on your sense of humor. Spread the light and the love. I better stop, I'm starting to sound like a total hippie.

No comments:

Post a Comment