This copywriter has absolutely no authority on the subject, but seems to be doing well. Here's what I'm doing:
1) Take advantage of all the special programs that the local and federal governments are offering. The Philadelphia Business Journal just did an article about free college courses for laid off workers. http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2009/03/16/focus1.html
2) Stop reading articles and watching news programs that tell you about how f*cked we all are. You'll just be feeding into the fear and paranoia that is contributing to MOST of the economic problem and the fear will paralyze you.
3) Volunteer somewhere. Anywhere. Teach a homeless person or underprivileged kid your trade. Doing this has made me feel so good and hopeful that if the Ramen noodles are just around the corner, so be it!
4) Read some books. Get on the front lines of your industry. Or start a project in a whole new industry. Learning new things builds passion and if you're passionate people will respond. I love being around people who are inspired because it's contagious. The root of "inspire" is "in spirit." It's like having a cheerleader follow you everywhere you go.
5) Better yet, write some books. I'm writing a novel about a Mexican immigrant. It is keeping the creative juices flowing and my interest in the beautiful and intriguing world around me.