I went to a PR function for young PR professionals. PR pros have to be good writers/communicators of information. One of the panel speakers mentioned Twitter and out of a couple hundred young and hip professionals, none of them seemed to have any idea about it. They have five hundred friends on Facebook, but no Twitter account. This is a mistake.
What has happened for me:
1) Increased access to other like-minded copywriters and marketers across America.
2) A step ahead of most of my fellow writers who could care less about the innovations happening in their industry.
3) Practicing sharing knowledge, rather than hoarding it and being cutthroat. So many people are paranoid about this economy that they're forgetting about that whole relationship-building thing.
4) It is just so cool to have people follow you, give you feedback, and pass along your little posts.
5) Blog promotion and blog discovery! I have found some incredible and informative blogs from Tweets.